Monday, August 1, 2011

Baggage at Last!

It's a funny story of how we found three of our four bags.  We were waiting for our "new" luggage in Johannesburg when Jan suggested we go ahead and check once again with SAA baggage for our luggage.  She and Susan were at the counter and Robyn and I were watching the people.  A man came with a huge cart of luggage and I commented that I was watching those suitcases as they were all so big.  Robyn then decided to look at them and one had a similar tear to hers - because it was hers!!!  Mine was also there as was Susan's bag so now it's only Jan's bag bouncing around the airport universe.

But the interesting thing about all of this is the reaction to having our luggage.  Some of us were kind of sad to have it - we had gotten used to and even started to enjoy the simplicity of having only one or two things to put on each day.  We knew we needed more clothing as we are switching to warmer climates but it was in many ways a let down and even a burden to now have these huge suitcases and all of these clothes. 

For me this whole first half of this trip has been a lesson in simplicity and enough.  We had enough, not more, not less.  I was constantly reminded of Jesus sending out the disciples with just what they had on to go into the world.  It made me realize I have been carrying a lot of extra baggage that maybe I am better off without!  That was my lesson for yesterday, Sunday, as I started the day watching God's creatures in the scrub bush and ended it with luggage and a new beginning of understanding of what enough really is.  It was truly worship in so many ways!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, as I am preparing to overpack for a Norwegian fjord cruise . Good thing you were looking--pays to keep your eyes open.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete