Thursday, March 28, 2019

What A Difference A Year Makes

One year ago this week, after having a routine physical and mammogram I received the dreaded phone call from my doctor announcing that I had breast cancer. I knew it was possible as I had gone in for further tests, but I didn’t believe it would happen to me. No breast cancer in the family and I was getting ready to travel the world on my sabbatical to research what healing means!



But the call came and my life shifted in ways I never would have predicted. Now not only was I trying to get my house ready to sell and saying goodbye to the wonderful congregation at Hope UMC where I had been pastor for nine years, but I had to figure out how to deal with cancer!

Many members of the congregation had had cancer, several breast cancer, and they turned into my lifeline. The helped me to understand the process and gave me invaluable advice as I began the journey.  They continued to be my strength by accompanying me to radiation appointments and helping to lessen my work at church to help with the healing process.

My sister Susan was also my biggest lifeline. She came with me to all of my doctor appointments to be a second set of ears as we learned about the process.  She even took me to my lumpectomy surgery in a snowstorm and stayed with me through it all.

The biggest lesson I learned from having cancer is that you cannot beat it alone. It takes many people helping in all aspects of life to get one through to the other side.  From walking my dog to making me laugh to helping me know how to treat radiation burns the people in my life were and are invaluable. Even now I am still receiving love and support. The greatest group of professionals has to be the nurses in the oncology department and the radiation program. They also made this journey not only bearable but filled with laughter and support.

As I continue forward one year after my diagnosis and treatment it is my turn. I have friends who have recently received a cancer diagnosis and I hope I can be support and love as they begin their own journey. If you want to understand the web of life and how we are all connected just talk to someone who has had cancer. Bravest people you will ever meet!

Thanks to all of my supporters. You made my last year one of victory and the cancer journey bearable. Time to pay it forward.

1 comment:

  1. You have been and are one of the bravest people I know. As you share your story you inspire us all to pay it forward! ��

    ReplyDelete