Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why Hope?

At Hope UMC we are taking time to go through an update of our visioning process.  We have had two wonderful meetings with ideas and information that will help the Hope faith community to grow and to continue to reach out beyond the church.

Last night we watched a video by Simon Sinek about leadership that was profound - we need to tell people WHY we do what we do - WHY we are part of Hope and want others to be part of this community as well.
(If you would like to view the video the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4)

We came up with a draft of a WHY statement:
We believe that every person can have a personal relationship with God. 

But what do you think the WHY statement should be for Hope?  To give you another thought, another idea, I did some thinking and came up with my WHY statement:


What I want to add is another WHY statement – not about community, I realized, but about our world.  I come to church because I believe we can still make this world a better place for all.  I don’t have the right words for that because “saving” the world is language people don’t like.  But my WHY would be multi-level:

We believe that every person can have a personal relationship with God
We believe that this world can be a better place (can be saved, is still full of potential)
We believe in hope.

I would love for us to continue this discussion!!  What do you think?  What does our deep "WHY" look like to you?

Our next meeting will be on Monday, June 17th at 6:00 p.m. During this month  it would be great to hear your thoughts on this!

Pastor Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment