Tuesday, April 23, 2019

End of My Odyssey

I forgot to tell you about the end of my trip! The final mileage total was 5,777 miles, 14 states,  11 national parks or monuments!  Not to mention the family and friends with whom I spent quality time. I cannot remember an experience that was so fun and fulfilling.

Some people can't imagine driving all of that time alone, but I love driving by myself. I get to enjoy the countryside, stop when I see a site or want to take a photo, and I get time to just be.  I don't think as much as you would suspect, but I just let myself enjoy the wind through the windows, the varied countryside around me, and the beautiful spring flowers everywhere! My three-week odyssey was truly one of the best experiences of my life.

What was most precious to me was the ability to reconnect with friends and spend time with family.  In this day when we keep in contact with people by email, text, Instagram, etc. there is still something overwhelmingly wonderful about connecting in person.  Especially with people I get to see so rarely. It's a window into their lives, and I feel so blessed to have reconnected with my friends.  I also loved seeing my niece and nephew and family in their own space - how their lives are actually lived, not just when on vacation.  It gave me a much better context for them so that my long-distance communications mean that much more.

Would I do it again? Absolutely! I wish I could have stayed the road for weeks more.  As it was, I had to cut out seeing some of my friends, so they are first on the list for the next trip!

How is it to be home? That is great as well (except for the unpacking which I just finished today!). It feels good to see my family and friends here and to be able to share my adventures with them.  We are a global community and I feel as if I just plugged myself back in to those with whom I stayed. Many thanks to all of them for their hospitality, my birthday celebrations and being willing to share their time and their lives with me!





     

No comments:

Post a Comment