Monday, April 15, 2019

Lessons from a Waterfall

As I make my way home, I take with me an abundance of memories, new experiences and the joy of connection with family and friends. But my greatest lessons came from the waterfalls! All through the journey water and waterfalls have been my companions, especially here in North Carolina.

My niece and I journeyed to several western NC waterfalls over my time here, and it was especially interesting to me to watch their transformation after a huge rainstorm.  It reminded me of how we go through life - always beautiful but sometimes we are just a trickle when we don't have enough nourishment, and when our Hearst, souls and bodies are filled we run full and resplendent. But even waterfalls can get too much of a good thing, and the waters get angry and filled with runoff from other streams.

Isn't that like life? Here is Whitewater Falls before and after a huge rainstorm:










No matter whether the waterfall is basking in a sunny day or whether its experiencing the deluge of a rainstorm, it is still beautiful, majestic and still the waterfall.  And so are we! Whether we are feeling great and experiencing the sunshine in our lives, or we are experiencing challenges, grief or even distress, we are still beautiful and still ourselves.

We need to take a lesson from the waterfalls and remember that life ebbs and flows.  How things are today does not reflect how they may be tomorrow.  We need to remember who we are and whose we are, whether in sunlight or in the rain and keep running, keep working toward being the wonder of who we are. Nothing can change that unless we are not nourished. Then we too become a trickle of ourselves.

So keep nourishing yourself. That's the one thing a waterfall cannot do - it has no control over the sun and the rain - but we can. Nourish your mind with new experiences, nourish your heart with love and joy, nourish your body with good food and exercise, and nourish your soul with a full and rich faith life. Then you too will be able to weather any storm and continue to flow until the sun comes out once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment