Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Resurrection and Renewal

Yesterday was Easter Sunday and as always it was a day of remembering, of celebrating resurrection and of feeling the renewal. This came from a day filled with inspiration and joy, and the hope that comes during this time of Easter and spring.

My day began at Silver Lake United Methodist Church where resurrection joy was celebrated as the story of the women coming to the empty tomb was read and discussed by Pastor Mary.  Why do we, as the women did, look for the living among the dead? This does not only apply to Jesus after his resurrection, but it is a strong metaphor for when we are brought low we sometimes look for our answers in the past, which is gone, instead of in the present moment or the future hope.  We need to look for living in the living moment!

Easter always brings me renewal through music and this year was no exception.  From the first hymn of "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" to the choir anthem to joining the choir at the end of the service to sing the "Hallelujah Chorus" I am swept away by joy and hope of the day. Being surrounded by people who also feel this renewal adds to the inspiration of the moment and the reminder that we can start again each day. That applies to our faith life, our family life, our work life.  The past cannot be changed but resurrection reminds us that we can try again, we can be risen to new awareness, we can keep working toward life abundant.

Whew! And that was just the beginning of the day.  After church I went home to help my sister Susan get the meal ready for the family, as I had volunteered us to host! There would be 16 people, including my friend Maralee who is part of the family as well, and we had been working for days to get everything put together. My special job was making popovers! A little surprise to the menu of lamb, ham, shrimp, potatoes, all kinds of veggies, etc. If cooking and making a meal special shows love, then Susan and I showed all we had!

I am always inspired when I am around my nieces and nephews and grand-nieces, and Easter was no exception. They live such different lives, and to hear about what they are doing and who they are becoming reminds me that we are constantly renewed over our lifetime.  Nothing is static - and what fun would it be if it was? The grand-nieces had fun with the egg hunt and exploring the house, while the adults came together to talk, to laugh, to remember shared experiences, and to make new ones.

Being a single person with no children is sometimes over whelming to me, but not on Easter. The sun was out, I was surrounded by the people who matter most to me, and I felt uplifted, inspired and renewed! The love that surrounded me was that of family, friends and faith, and I feel that again I am lifted from darkness into all of the hope and possibilities of the light.  Resurrection indeed!

Even at this time of joy and hope we paused in church and at home to grieve with the people of Sri Lanka who had their world torn apart by the bombings across the country during the Easter celebration. For them resurrection may be harder to find right away, but hope is a little spark that will grow as they grieve, their faith with them.  So, even Easter can be a time of loss and distress.

But for me this Easter has been filled with renewal and resurrection. I see the plants pushing through to seek the sunlight, and I have hope. I HAVE HOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment